Bringing you information and results about reloading equipment and equations!

I came here to Gunsmith and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Monday, December 10, 2012

Mauser Refurb

A few months ago my grandfather gave me an old Mauser action 8mm rifle. He had gotten it fairly cheap many years back. I don't have any way of determining the origin of it since most of the markings are worn away completely. It appears that it was converted to a sporting rifle at one point. It had a lot of wear. Most of the bluing was worn off of the receiver, and the stock was rough and most of the finish was worn away. Unfortunately I was so excited to get to work on the rifle that I failed to take pictures with my good camera and only have a few off of my phone that I took.


This is the stock after a few good wipe downs with mineral spirits. The mineral spirits took off the remainder of the finish and also lifted the old oil out of the wood as well.





After a long sanding process I decided that I wanted to do a traditional oil hardened finish on the stock. So I picked up some Linspeed.














After several coats utilizing the Linspeed "dual application" process you can see for yourself that the results are pretty impressive.











I had some time between coats of oil so I took the liberty to re-blue the receiver. For it being such an old rifle I was able to blend the bluing so you couldn't even tell that it was redone.



After all was said and done I think that the rifle came out looking pretty good. My grandfather actually tried taking it back after he saw how nice it came out.
More updates on the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment