Bringing you information and results about reloading equipment and equations!

I came here to Gunsmith and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Sunday, November 27, 2011

.45 ACP 185gr. HP

So I realized two things the other day. First I totally forgot that I started this reloading blog, and second I noticed that I have been neglecting this beautiful piece of machinery next to me also known as the Dillon RL550B. So what better to do then put the shot shell production on hold and get back on the Dillon.

 The fist question to ask myself is what should I reload? So I rummaged through the bottom of my bench to figure out what cases are all ready to go. Apparently last time I came back from the range I didn't put ANY of my empty cases in my tumbler. But the good thing was that all my .45ACP brass was cleaned from the time before and ready to get put under the press.



Equipment being used:


- Dillon RL550b
- Winchester .45ACP brass
- CCI large pistol primers
- AA #5 powder
- Hornady 185gr. Jacketed HP




Now that I have all of my brass sorted out its time to decide how much punch I want behind the 185gr. HP. Consulting the always reputable Lyman Reloading Handbook I see that suggested starting grains was 7.4 (9.2 being the max) . Since all I do is target shoot at shorter ranges in the area I figured that I would not need much more than that to get the job done. So I bumped it up a bit and went to 7.8gr. No point in throwing away extra powder. I loaded around 150 rounds for now. I'll have to hit the range before my trip to Austin in two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment